January 14th, 2016
Some people love winter. They love the snow, the snap in the air, the short days and cozy nights at home. Others can’t stand it, for many of the same reasons. Regardless of whether you love it or hate it, though, chances are you’re going to have to get out and drive in it at some point. We’ve got a few suggestions to help you through the winter safely:
• Make sure you’ve got a well-maintained car. This includes fresh windshield wipers, proper tire inflation, a strong battery, a properly-maintained cooling system and a fresh oil change. If your tires aren’t up to the job of winter driving, you might consider switching to winter tires for a while – just
Tags: car maintenance, winter tires, snow tires, winter driving tips, winter driving, driver safety, safe vehicle
December 31st, 2015
In a lot of parts of the country, the winters are tough enough that all-season tires just won’t get the job done. All-season tires are a compromise; they offer good year-round traction with a quiet ride, good handling and road manners. They tend to perform well in wet weather and light wintry conditions, but when the snow is more than a couple of inches deep, all-season tires are out of their league. That’s when it’s time to consider winter tires.
Today’s winter tires are a long way from the heavy, noisy, clumsy “snow tires” or “mud grips” that your dad might have had on his station wagon 40 years ago. Modern winter tires are designed for noise, handling, steering response and road manners that rival grand tourin ...[more]
Tags: snow tires, snow and winter tires, buy snow tires, buy winter tires, winter tire benefits, winter tire tips, winter driving, winter tire decisions
Posted in: Tire 101
November 26th, 2015
Where did this year go? Before you know it, it’s going to be time for the holidays, and that can mean travel in some pretty trying conditions (and we don’t just mean restless kids in the back seat). Is your vehicle ready for some interstate miles?
• Tires: It’s a good idea to have your tires rotated every 5,000-7,000 miles to ensure even wear. With that in mind, it’s easy to just schedule a tire rotation with every oil change, since the vehicle will be up in the air on a lube rack anyway. Have you checked your inflation lately? Your proper
inflation levels will be on a sticker on the driver’s side ...[more]
Tags: car maintenance, auto repair, winter driving, engine maintenance, heating repair, auto services, preventative maintenance service, winter
November 12th, 2015
Winter tires versus all-season tires…which is the right choice for you?
The two designs are quite different and deliver different levels of performance and winter-weather traction, so let’s discuss.
• All-season tires are designed as an all-around compromise. They feature a tread pattern that evacuates water from the tire’s contact patch to prevent hydroplaning, with plenty of small, textured slits (sipes) to add extra biting edges for traction in wet or slushy conditions.
• All-season tires are designed with a harder tread compound th ...[more]
Tags: new tires, winter tires, snow tires, snow and winter tires, winter tire tips, winter driving, winter tire decisions, winter tire help, winter tire guide
Posted in: Tire 101
October 15th, 2015
The days are getting shorter, there’s a snap in the air, and before you know it, the winter months are going to be upon us. Is your vehicle ready?
• Wipers: Even the best windshield wipers are only good for about a year; normal wear, the sun’s UV rays and the elements take their toll on them. Get a good look and check them for chunks, strips or chips missing, and replace if necessary for a streak-free field of vision in wet weather. Hint: a fresh application of
Rain-X on your windshield and window glass can help visibility greatly.
• Brakes: Are you hearing any squeaks, squeals or ...[more]
Tags: car maintenance, auto repair, preventative flush service, winter driving, engine maintenance, auto service, winter
January 28th, 2014
Congratulations! You’ve taken the first step in winter safety and decided to invest in a set of winter tires. There are a few things you are going to want to remember about your winter tires, especially if this is your first time making the transition. A few things you may want to know:
- Depending on the kind of tires you select, you may notice a change in the feel/sound of your commute. Because winter tires have more of a grip on the road, they might sound louder depending on your vehicle. If you notice it at all, don’t panic. You are only hearing the added contact. If you add studs or chains to the mix, the sound will increase as well, and you may feel as if you are driving an armored tank down the road. Keep ...[more]
Tags: tires, winter driving, winter tires, buy winter tires, winter tire tips, winter tires and information, tires for winter
Posted in: Tires 101
December 13th, 2013
Another winter storm coming? Before you rush to the store for the last gallon of milk and loaf of bread, you’ll want to be sure your car is ready to battle the elements. Follow these tips before venturing out into the winter wonderland.
- Check your Cooling System. Have your mechanic check your hoses, belts and anti-freeze. A weakened hose or belt can break and leave you stranded, or a weak solution of anti-freeze can ice up and damage your cooling system. Hoses shouldn’t have cracks or become softened. In extreme temperature drops, keep an eye on your hoses and belts, as low temperatures can cause additional breakage or weak spots.
- Check Your Battery. Make sure your car's battery connection is clean, tight and corro ...[more]
Tags: winter driving, winter tires, winter driving tips, buy winter tires, winterize car battery, winter tire benefits, discount winter tires, cheap winter tires, winter tire tips, winter tires and information, tires for winter, snow tires
Posted in: Tires 101
December (4) November (2) October (3) September (8) August (7) July (9) June (11) May (15) April (9) March (21) February (12) January (13)
December (14) November (17) October (13) September (12) August (14) July (12) June (13) May (23) March (8) February (7)
November (12) October (9) September (8) August (10) July (3) June (14) May (17) April (12) March (8) February (13) January (12)
December (17) November (47) October (14) September (6) August (10) July (11) June (8) May (7) April (11) March (3)
tires oil change service oil changes oil filter replacement tire repair flat tire repair flat tires wheel alignment tire alignment windshield windshield crack auto glass repair glass auto repair windshield glass repair Windshield Repair oil change buy tires tire sale car tires tires online buy tires online mpg mileage safe driving tips a air conditioning car alignment tire balancing wheel balancing flat tire auto repair car repair mechanic auto service all season tires winter tires summer tires snow tires car battery replacement car battery tire center safety tips driving auto repair services alignment high mileage cars tread depth tread wear replacing tires driver tips driver safety tips auto mechanic auto mechanics winter driving tips buy winter tires winter safety tips winter tire benefits winter tire tips winter tires and information tires for winter new tires passenger tires spare tire spare tires tire pressure tire maintenance discount winter tires cheap winter tires tire rotation tire rotation service tire rotation benefits winter driving winterize car battery auto repair service check engine light brake repair brake service car tune up tune up tune up service Fuel Economy Mother's Day battery replacement car air conditioning service ac service air conditioning service automobile ac service replacement tires back to school preventative maintenance tire inflation brakes Halloween preventative maintenance driver safety vehicle lights headlights brake lights car maintenance driving tips holiday travel safe tires engine maintenance auto services break service Car Energy Savers ac repair air conditioning car service truck tires tire replacement automotive repair automotive repair services truck repair preventative flush service winter car spare tire truck spare tire snow and winter tires winter tire decisions winter tire help winter tire guide heating repair preventative maintenance service vehicle energy saver gas mileage buy snow tires safe vehicle truck tire repair car tire repair mechanics auto repair mechanics tire technology high mileage engine fuel economy tire recycling high mileage car coolant fluids tire store tips tripletred tires auto facts car care kit